COMMUNITY

The NCAA is committed to leaving a legacy for all communities that host a championship. Working alongside the Atlanta Basketball Host Committee, the NCAA will host a number of youth and sustainability programs and upgrade a local park through its Legacy Restoration project.

Read to the Final Four 

Designed to leave a lasting, positive impact on the students of Metro Atlanta, the NCAA and Atlanta Basketball Host Committee have teamed up to promote and inspire reading growth among local third graders. This signature program offers several ways to participate, while the main event is an engaging, bracketed reading competition for local third graders, supported by the Renaissance myON® Reader digital literacy platform. Schools compete as a school-wide 3rd-grade reading team and advance through rounds of competition that mirror the basketball tournament.

The competition concludes in April during the Final Four and the top “Final Four” schools will win a field trip to Fan Fest where they will be recognized in a special award ceremony.

School registration begins in Fall 2019. More details to come. 

Legacy Restoration Project 

Joseph B. Whitehead Boys & Girls Club will receive upgrades to its indoor basketball facility and learning center, which serves hundreds of children and teens each year. The club falls under the programs focus on helping youth succeed in school, live healthy, and become leaders.

The Club first started out as a summer recreational program in South Bend Park for neighborhood youth in 1944. In 1947, the Lakewood group organized a board of directors to extend the programs year round. By 1948, the Club became an associated branch of the Atlanta Boys Club. The first permanent building facilities were two wood-framed houses. As membership grew, plans were made to build a new, larger building, with the Whitehead Foundation largely supporting the initiative. In gratitude for the very generous gift from the Whitehead Foundation, the Club was named the Joseph B. Whitehead Memorial Boys’ Club in 1958 after the son of Mrs. Lettie Pate Evans, the widow of Joseph Whitehead.